7 Benefits of Effervescent Vs Regular Tablets
Oral tablets and capsules are the most extensively used forms of medication around the world. Being an oral solid dosage, they have a slow absorption rate which leads to delayed action. But this can be overcome by administering the drug/nutrients in a liquid form. This is exactly where and how effervescent tablets came into the picture.
Effervescent tablets are designed to rapidly and completely dissolve in water, releasing carbon dioxide, leading to rapid disintegration and making a homogenous solution. Not only do they offer stability but also a quick onset of action. This makes effervescent tablets a preferred choice for many, including those who are taking tablets medicinally and a dietary supplement.
Over regular tablets, effervescent tablets are now becoming the number one choice in supplement use due to their many advantages. Let’s have a look.
1. 100% Bioavailable Form
One of the most important advantages is that effervescent formulations are 100% bioavailable, as compared to synthetic tablets which are said to be only 50%-70% bioavailable depending on various factors. Because conventional tablets or capsules dissolve very slowly in the stomach, they lead to reduced nutrient absorption. The rest of the non-absorbed portion is simply excreted out of your body.
In contrast, effervescent tablets are 100% bioavailable and are almost double that of conventional tablets or capsules. They dissolve completely and uniformly, allowing your body to absorb the nutrients to its full capacity. This means that you get the full benefit from the supplement and its ingredients. This is especially critical for the aged and those with weak digestive systems.
2. Gentle Action, No Stomach Discomfort
Conventional tablets once ingested can sometimes only partially dissolve in the stomach, which can lead to irritation or stomach discomfort in some cases. On the other hand, effervescent tablets dissolve completely and evenly meaning that localized concentrations of the ingredients do not occur. They are gentle on the digestive tract and cause no stomach or esophageal discomfort. However, if taken in excess, like anything else, it could lead to some side effects.
3. More Hydration
4. Tastes Delicious
Effervescent tablets often come with an added flavor and sweetener. So, when dissolved in a liquid medium like water, they add flavor to make it taste better than regular tablets which have an odd metallic taste. They can be a healthy alternative to sugary beverages or juice when hit with a sudden sweet craving.
5. Great Choice For Those With Difficulty In Swallowing
Unlike regular tablets or capsules, you drink an effervescent tablet by completely dissolving it in liquid rather than swallowing as a whole. Thus, an effervescent tablet can be a great alternative for those who have trouble swallowing due to illness/age. With this, it can also be a great way of ingesting medicines for individuals with sore throat or medical issues that make swallowing difficult. Plus, it is an added advantage for people who take a number of tablets daily. Choosing an effervescent form can be a relief for such people.
6. On-the-Go Nutrition
Effervescent tablets are easy to consume at any time of the day and anywhere. All you have to do is drop them in a glass of water and the tablet will take care of the rest. They are also travel-friendly (easy to carry), consistent, well mixed, and ready to drink. In contrast, traditional tablets or powders need to be measured accurately and stirred repeatedly to avoid an inconsistent drink with lumpy bits.
7. Large Variety
Whether you are looking for an immunity booster or Vitamin C and zinc tablets, you can find them in the form of effervescent tablets. Given the ease and convenience that effervescent tablets offer, more and more essential vitamins and minerals are being made available in this form.
Effervescent tablets are becoming increasingly popular over the conventional tablet and it is easy to find out why. They provide the most efficient way of taking supplements/medicines due to their 100 percent absorption and bioavailable properties as compared to regular tablets. In addition, they taste delicious and are easier to take for people who find it difficult to swallow. All these factors make effervescent tablets a very popular choice!
- Comparative bioavailability studies of citric acid and malonic acid based aspirin effervescent tablets, Anju Gauniya, Sanjita Das, Subrata Mallick,1 and S. P. Basu, Journal of Pharmacy and Bio Allied Sciences, doi: 10.4103/0975-7406.67015, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3147094/)
- Effervescent tablets: a safe and practical delivery system for drug administration, Kagan Ipci, Tuğba Öktemer, Leman Birdane and Niyazi Altıntoprak, ENT Updates, DOI:10.2399/jmu.2016001009, (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301640133_Effervescent_tablets_a_safe_and_practical_delivery_system_for_drug_administration)
- Formulation and evaluation of effervescent tablets: a review, Salim G Patel and M Siddaiah, Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, DOI:10.22270/jddt.v8i6.2021, (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330428706_Formulation_and_evaluation_of_effervescent_tablets_a_review)
- From the pharmaceutical to the clinical: the case for effervescent paracetamol in pain management. A narrative review, Claude Dubray,Philippe Maincent &Jean Yves Milon, Current Medical Research and Opinion, 2020, (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03007995.2021.1902297)