12 Effective Home Remedies for Burning Rectum
The rectum is the part of your colon that leads to the anal canal, responsible for defecation or excretion. A burning rectum can be caused by a variety of factors, including hemorrhoids, inflammation, bleeding, fissures, or acidity. There are many things you can do to treat that burning sensation, and we will look into them in this article. Scroll on down to find out what causes burning rectum and easy home remedies that will help treat it.
Causes of a Burning Rectum
Some of the causes of the burning sensation around the anus are:
1. Spicy diet -
Most spicy dishes use black or red pepper, which contains capsaicin. Capsaicin usually goes down your GI tract undigested, causing irritation to the skin around the anus.
2. Medication -
The anal skin is extremely sensitive and easily irritated. In the anal area, using strong chemicals and drugs such as scented soaps, medicated talcum powders, etc. can cause skin irritation and inflammation.
3. Skin Conditions -
Skin disorders such as psoriasis and eczema can cause itching and burning around the anus. Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory skin disease characterized by scaly areas, and eczema is one of the many types of dermatitis.
4. Constipation and Diarrhea -
Constipation and diarrhea can also cause a burning rectum. Passing hard and dry stools (constipation) or passing a lot of stool can irritate the skin.
5. Hemorrhoids -
Also known as "piles," it is a condition where veins in the anal cavity swell and cause discomfort. External swelling is easily identified and can be taken care of; however, internal swelling can cause complications.
6. Anal Fissures -
Tears, sores, or cracks in the anus are examples of anal fissures. It occurs when the anus is stretched beyond its limit, typically due to hard constipated feces and tears. Anal fissures are prone to re-injury once they begin. Anal fissures are characterized by pain, burning, blood in the stool, and a cut or tear in the anus.
7. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
IBS accompanied by diarrhea can cause pain in the rectum.
Symptoms of a Burning Rectum are:
- From mild to severe burning and stinging
- During bowel motions, there is a pain in the anal area.
- Bleeding in the anal region
- Constipation or diarrhea
Home Remedies for Burning Rectum
Your rectum is a very important part of your gastrointestinal system. It is approximately 5 inches long. It helps in the processing of nutrients in your stomach. When it comes to home remedies, the options are plenty. From adding mango seeds to your daily diet to bayberry, bananas, and figs, keep reading to know more.
Bananas with milk are known to be instant-burning rectum relief agents, as they are rich in potassium, which is a vasodilator. A vasodilator, by definition, aids in the relaxation of your blood vessels, resulting in less stress and pressure on the veins surrounding your rectum. Other than that, bananas also contain fiber, which helps ensure a healthy bowel movement, reducing the risk of constipation.
2. Buttermilk and Curd
Buttermilk can lower body temperature and generate a cooling impact. Drink buttermilk daily to ease the burning sensations near the anus. Both buttermilk and curd are good sources of probiotics. Consuming probiotics can help relieve constipation when consumed as part of a healthy, high-fiber diet. As a result, they may be helpful to alleviate your hemorrhoid pain. If you are severely lactose intolerant, you can try out Probiotic + Prebiotic supplements, which provide support for your digestive health, neutralize toxins, improve metabolism, and help prevent other gut-related issues.
3. Cumin Seeds
Cumin aids in the shrinking of hemorrhoids, reducing the surface area that is inflamed while soothing burning sensations. For it to be an effective home remedy for a burning anus, make a thick paste, and combine powdered cumin seeds with water. Then, carefully apply this paste to the anus to cool it down and relieve the burning sensation.
4. Mango SeedsDried mango seeds can be crushed into powder form and given to people suffering from a burning sensation in their rectum. This powder, when eaten with honey, can serve as a home remedy for hemorrhoids. This is so because of the amazing anti-inflammatory properties found in these seeds.
5. Coriander SeedsCoriander seeds help in alleviating the symptoms and pain caused by piles. All you need to do is soak some of these seeds in water before you go to sleep at night, and then consume them the next morning. This remedy will help stop burning in the rectum, thanks to the amazing antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties of coriander seeds.
Cranberries are known to be good for those suffering from hemorrhoids. Patients can place a cheesecloth containing cranberries on their rectum to relieve the symptoms of piles. Cranberries are anti-inflammatory by nature and are often prescribed for serious intestinal and stomach problems too.
Figs help relieve the burning sensation in the rectum. All you need to do is soak 3–4 figs in water overnight and have them in the morning. You can have them first thing in the morning before eating anything else. Another way to use figs for immediate relief from rectum burning is to apply them topically over irritated areas.
Radishes can be eaten raw or grated, and their juice can be flavored with salt. They are high in fiber, which controls bowel movements, induces peristaltic motion, and encourages the secretion of digestive juices. This facilitates bowel movement, which helps prevent further exacerbation of your hemorrhoids.
Bayberry has been demonstrated to lessen the size and severity of hemorrhoids, while the other components have anti-inflammatory or anesthetic properties. Combine bayberry, myrrh, white oak, and golden seal root to prepare an ointment for the burning rectum.
10. Hot & Cold Packs
You should try using hot and cold packs in areas where you feel the pain and discomfort of hemorrhoids. They help relieve the burning sensation in the rectum by reducing swelling and inflammation. It also increases the blood flow in that area which helps improve healing and cell repair.
11. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is good for both the itching and pain that come along with a burning rectum. Its natural anti-inflammatory properties help reduce swelling. Witch hazel can be found in wipes, soaps, and sanitizers - and the astringent properties in it will reduce all the symptoms of piles. You can also apply witch hazel to your anus with cotton pads to eliminate the burning sensation.
12. Aloe Vera
Last but not least in this list of remedies is aloe vera, with its amazing anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the burning sensation in your rectum and also reduce inflammation. Apply pure, natural aloe vera gel directly on your anus to get relief from the burning sensation.
Other things that you can do to prevent a burning rectum include avoiding spicy food, tea, coffee, and fried foods. If you have any allergies or chronic conditions, you should first consult with your doctor before you make any of these remedies a part of your routine. You can also try out Wellbeing Nutrition's Probiotic + Prebiotic that provides support to your digestive health, neutralizes toxins, improves metabolism, and helps prevent other gut-related issues.
Home remedies help provide relief while the issue is still in its initial stage. If you are not experiencing relief from these remedies, chances are that you need medical intervention. Besides these remedies, some other things that you can do to prevent a burning rectum include avoiding spicy food, tea, coffee, and fried foods. If you have any allergies or chronic conditions, you should first consult with your doctor before making any of these remedies a part of your routine.
- Salari M, Salari R, Dadgarmoghadam M, Khadem-Rezaiyan M, Hosseini M. Efficacy of egg yolk and nitroglycerin ointment as treatments for acute anal fissures: A randomized clinical trial study. Electron Physician. 2016;8(10):3035-3041. Published 2016 Oct 25. doi:10.19082/3035 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5133025/)
- Shah KA, Patel MB, Patel RJ, Parmar PK. Mangifera indica (mango). Pharmacogn Rev. 2010;4(7):42-48. doi:10.4103/0973-7847.65325 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249901/)
- Derakhshan AR. Natural Treatments for Fissure in Ano Used by Traditional Persian Scholars, Razi (Rhazes) and Ibn Sina (Avicenna). J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med. 2017;22(2):324-333. doi:10.1177/2156587216650302, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5871188/)
- Blumberg JB, Basu A, Krueger CG, et al. Impact of Cranberries on Gut Microbiota and Cardiometabolic Health: Proceedings of the Cranberry Health Research Conference 2015. Adv Nutr. 2016;7(4):759S-70S. Published 2016 Jul 15. doi:10.3945/an.116.012583, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4942875/)
- Villalba H, Abbas MA. Hemorrhoids: modern remedies for an ancient disease. Perm J. 2007;11(2):74-76. doi:10.7812/tpp/06-156, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057743/)
- Mooventhan A, Nivethitha L. Scientific evidence-based effects of hydrotherapy on various systems of the body. N Am J Med Sci. 2014;6(5):199-209. doi:10.4103/1947-2714.132935, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4049052/)
- InformedHealth.org [Internet]. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG); 2006-. Enlarged hemorrhoids: How can you relieve the symptoms yourself? 2014 Jan 29 [Updated 2017 Nov 2]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279466/
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.