7 Delicious Recipes to Use Matcha!
Matcha And Its Health BenefitsMatcha features on the menu cards of popular cafés and restaurants, right from the appetizer section to desserts. Culinary masters are experimenting with this tea powder like magic and dishing out amazing innovative foods for healthy-food eaters and trend chasers.
Now, with more and more people becoming aware of its immunity-boosting and stress-reducing qualities, this green tea is finding its way into kitchens and pantries and its ease to use and store it adds on to its demand.
Due to its unique cultivation style, matcha retains most of the health-boosting properties of the whole tealeaf. It is rich in catechins, a natural plant compound that has natural antioxidant properties that helps in reducing cell damage and lowering risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular disorders, liver diseases and cancer.
Studies have shown that teas such as matcha, which is rich in catechins, has cardio protective properties. Matcha, when included in a well-balanced diet and supported by an active lifestyle, can improve heart health. It has been found that matcha has double the amount of Vitamin C (a key immunity-enhancing nutrient) than other green teas.
Matcha also helps in weight management as it boosts metabolism and enhances exercise-induced fat oxidation.
Including antioxidant rich foods like matcha has a plethora of health benefits and is given a thumbs up by health experts and fitness coaches globally.
In this blog, we have handpicked 7 matcha recipes, categorized under three broad mealtimes- breakfast, lunch, and supper/dinner. We present you with unique ways to include this powerhouse of a superfood to your daily routine. Given below are some of the lip-smacking ways of adding matcha to your daily diet.
BreakfastThe most important meal of the day, breakfast provides the body with adequate energy and nutrients to help you get on with your day! Having a healthy and nutritive breakfast not only boosts energy but also prevents weight gain and literally keeps you in the pink of health.
Let’s look at some of the interesting breakfast matcha-recipes below.
1. Energizing Coconut Matcha Green Tea Latte Oatmeal – This is a gluten-free and vegan-friendly breakfast to keep you high on energy throughout the day. Healthy matcha green tea paired with creamy coconut milk, gluten-free oatmeal, and coconut flakes makes for a tasty antioxidant-rich breakfast bowl. Sprinkle some roasted nuts to the oatmeal in order to add the goodness of healthy fats and vitamins to your breakfast. This will help you start your day on a fresh and healthy note!
2. Matcha Pancakes – If you are a pancake fan and enjoy making them from scratch, then do try a batch of pancakes with matcha. The super-healthy uber-green matcha adds a lovely bright hue to the batter that instantly perks up the mood and adds a zing to the pancakes. You can layer the stack of pancakes with slices of your favorite seasonal fruits and sprinkle some almond and pistachio shavings to up its nutritional value. Now doesn’t that look like a work of art!
3. Matcha French Toast – A perfect breakfast recipe with adequate quantity of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and fat, matcha French toast makes for an interesting breakfast option. Simply prepare a batter consistency, similar to that of a custard by whisking together egg, butter, milk, sugar and sifted matcha. Dip and coat bread slices in the batter and pan fry both the sides. Drizzle the French toast with icing sugar and serve them with your choice of fresh fruit!
LunchOur body needs re-fueling in the middle of the day and a healthy lunch gives your mind and body the much-needed energy boost. Adding an antioxidant-rich superfood like matcha to your lunchtime recipes surely enhances health benefits for you.
4. Zoodles with Matcha Basil Pesto – If your aim is to cut down on carbs but still feel energetic go for this all-green recipe with zucchini noodles, matcha, basil pesto, and sprinkle the tasty dish with some grated parmesan to add to its delicious goodness.
5. Matcha Ice-cream – Most of us experience sweet carvings during the day and having an ice-cream is a great way to satiate them. Ever since matcha gained tremendous popularity the world over, food enthusiasts and chefs have experimented with this healthy ingredient in a variety of foods including desserts. The earthy, sweet flavor of matcha ice-cream can surely bowl you over on a hot afternoon! Take our word for it and give it a try!
DinnerStudies have shown that an early and light dinner reduces inflammation and aids digestion and improves sleep quality. Matcha has high levels of L-theanine, an amino acid that can help calm the nervous system and ease anxiety bringing in a restful state of the body. Matcha dinner recipes are easy to prepare and make for delicious meals on your table at the end of a busy day.
6. Matcha and Mushroom Soup – This lovely creamy green soup is made with caramelized shitake mushrooms coated with matcha powder and pureed spinach. The soup is finished with butter and cream and garnished with burnt garlic and croutons.
7. Grilled Chicken and Matcha Quinoa Salad – Tossing up a salad for dinner is a ritual for many because it’s easy, healthy and fresh. This low-calorie colorful recipe is packed with dietary nutrition and fiber for good gut health. Throw in some veggies, chicken and herbs with quinoa cooked in matcha stew and get the best assortment of nutrition.
Matcha is a great choice to use in cooking as it lends its unique flavor and color to the food its added in, apart from enhancing its nutritious value. The biggest advantage is that matcha can be added to any preparation and in different ways, which makes it a super-fun ingredient to have as part of your daily diet. So opt for this green superfood that offers a fantastic combination of taste and health. Pick one of the above recipes and dish up a delicious meal.
Meanwhile, Wellbeing Nutrition has come up with a new product called, Japanese Ceremonial Matcha Green Tea, which are available in the form of effervescent tablets. These tablets are made out of the best organically grown Tencha green tea leaves, which have been stone ground to perfection. All you need to do is drop a tablet in a glass of water and gulp down the delicious fizzy drink filled with "matcha" goodness. We bet you've never tasted green tea this good before!
- Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea: A Review Joanna Kochman, Karolina Jakubczyk, Justyna Antoniewicz, Honorata Mruk, Katarzyna Janda, Molecules. 2021 Jan; 26(1): 85. Published online 2020 Dec 27. doi: 10.3390/molecules26010085, PMCID: PMC779640
- Antioxidant Properties and Nutritional Composition of Matcha Green Tea, Karolina Jakubczyk, Joanna Kochman, Aleksandra Kwiatkowska, Justyna Kałduńska, Karolina Dec, Dorota Kawczuga, Katarzyna Janda Foods. 2020 Apr; 9(4): 483. Published online 2020 Apr 12. doi: 10.3390/foods9040483, PMCID: PMC723115
- Green Tea Catechins and Cardiovascular Health: An Update, Pon Velayutham, Anandh Babu, Dongmin Liu, Curr Med Chem. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2009 Sep 22.Published in final edited form as: Curr Med Chem. 2008; 15(18): 1840–1850. PMCID: PMC2748751
- Husel R, Viechtbauer W, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. The effects of green tea on weight loss and weight maintenance: a meta-analysis. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009 Sep;33(9):956-61. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2009.135. Epub 2009 Jul 14. PMID: 19597519.
- Timing of Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Effects on Obesity and Metabolic Risk, Jesus Lopez-Minguez, Purificación Gómez-Abellán, Marta Garaulet, Nutrients. 2019 Nov; 11(11): 2624. Published online 2019 Nov 1. doi: 10.3390/nu11112624, PMCID: PMC6893547
- Effects of Matcha Green Tea Powder on Cognitive Functions of Community-Dwelling Elderly Individuals, Keisuke Sakurai, Chutong Shen, Yuri Ezaki, Noriko Inamura, Yoichi Fukushima, Nobutaka Masuoka, Tatsuhiro Hisatsune Nutrients. 2020 Dec; 12(12): 3639. Published online 2020 Nov 26. doi: 10.3390/nu12123639