You’re tackling deadlines, making it to your family gatherings, and creating time for your hobbies while sipping on a gigantic glass of smoothie. Bam! You start feeling jittery, or a sudden wave of fatigue hits you. Stress and anxiety need no alarm bells to make their presence known. But before you try to ‘deal with it’ with caffeine, we’re here to point you in the right direction of natural remedies for stress and anxiety.
Although there are plenty of supplements available in the market, why not choose something that’s natural? Thus, it’s time to say hello to herbs with adaptogenic properties. These herbs for stress and anxiety are nature’s gems. They help you relax, combat fatigue and provide immunity support too. Want to know more about these not-so-magical herbs? Read on!
One for the relief, Shankapushpi
It’s a perennial herb with stress and anxiety-relieving benefits. Shankapushpi acts as a tonic for the brain and helps to boost memory and concentration too. Shankapushpi is packed with antioxidants and flavonoids that may act like antidepressants and manage the stress hormone- cortisol.
Liquorice root, the root of all things good
It helps to manage stress by maintaining energy and cortisol levels in the body. Liquorice root also combats irritability and bloating due to its estrogenic properties. It’s a potent antioxidant that aids in fighting digestive disorders too.
Turmeric, the natural stress-relieving trick
It contains Curcumin, the bioactive compound that has often been linked with dealing in stress and anxiety. Research has also suggested that it helps in boosting serotonin and dopamine levels, the hormones that manage your mood.
Only cheer with Echinacea
Echinacea is often linked to reducing the feeling of anxiety. It contains alkamides, rosmarinic acid, and caffeic acid that are known to soothe your body. Echinacea also supplements your body with the much-needed immune boost.
The holiest of them all, Holy Basil
According to some studies, Holy Basil is known to have antidepressant and anti-anxiety properties. It fosters relaxation, treats headaches, and improves memory too. The antioxidant properties in it are known to fight cold and cough.
While it’s difficult to get all these ingredients, there are plenty of natural supplements for anxiety and stress. If you’re looking for a simple way to experience the goodness of all these herbs, Grandma’s Kadha is the way to go. It has 13 adaptogenic herbs packed in 1 tab. Be it an untimely case of sniffles, stress, or infections, this herbal healer is here to save the day, in the form of warmth and relief in a mug. These Ayurvedic herbs for stress and anxiety are a saving grace for anyone looking to begin their self-care journey.
- Antioxidants and Functional Foods for Neurodegenerative Disorders
Uses in Prevention and Therapy, 2021, (https://www.google.co.in/books/edition/Antioxidants_and_Functional_Foods_for_Ne/T90NEAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=shankapushpi+benefits&pg=PT430&printsec=frontcover)
- Licorice Root, National Center For Complementary and Integrative Health, (https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/licorice-root)
- Curcumin Benefits As Antioxidant, Anti-inflammation And Antiapoptosis Ameliorate Paracetamol Toxicity, Tejo Jayadi, Bowo Widiasmoko, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, DOI:10.22159/AJPCR.2018.V11S3.29959Corpus ID: 55834045, (https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/CURCUMIN-BENEFITS-AS-ANTIOXIDANT%2C-ANTIINFLAMATION-Jayadi-Widiasmoko/16888686113dab80cfebee4683ff3613012cfc45)
- Herb-Drug Interactions: What the Science Says, National Center For Complementary and Integrative Health, (https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/herb-drug-interactions-science)
- Therapeutic Benefits Of Holy Basil ( Tulsi ) In General And Oral Medicine: A Review, B. Sumit, Arora Geetika, 2012, International journal of research in ayurveda and pharmacy, (https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/THERAPEUTIC-BENEFITS-OF-HOLY-BASIL-(-TULSI-)-IN-AND-Sumit-Geetika/0520dbcce40e20ff35821ba1a6c0bc62db70e7d2)