But does plant-based nutrition boost immunity? Well, read along to find out.
What is a plant-based nutrition/diet?
A diet that's derived mostly or entirely from plants is known as a plant-based diet. And the nutrition that you get from that diet is plant-based nutrition.
Do plant-based diets offer the required immunity?Getting right to the point, plant diets are abundant in fibers: that ensure a healthy gut microbiome. It's the fibers that the gut bacteria feed on and create short-chain fatty acids. And these fatty acids are known to enhance your immunity against several pathogens.
Also, your gut contains almost 70% of your body's immune system. So, as vegetables such as kale and spinach are good for your gut, they're indirectly good for your immune system too.
Furthermore, when the immunity is down during dengue, doctors recommend kiwi, dragon fruits, bananas, coconut water, sweet lime, oranges to their patients. All these fruits naturally improve immunity because of the nutrients they come with (Vitamin C, potassium, etc.).
An experiment was conducted wherein two groups of elderly patients were involved. One group consumed five portions of fruits and vegetables a day, and the other group consumed two. In the end, it was noted/reported that the group with five portions of fruits a day had better immunity-boosting nutrients such as Lycopene, zeaxanthin, and vitamin C as compared to the other group.
All of the above instances prove that plant-based diets offer the required immunity to our bodies. However, it is important to note that everyone’s body functions differently and that is why any transition that one needs to in terms of the diet they consume must be done gradually in consultation with a nutritionist.
How to consume a plant-based diet?You can slowly introduce fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. Here's what you can go for:
● Dark leafy greens such as arugula, Kale, swiss chard
● Cannellini beans
● Lima beans
● Brown rice
● Raw almonds
● Chia seeds
● Coconut oil
However, if you’re unable to eat all or most of the above plant-based foods, you can rely on the plant-based supplements listed below.
What plant-based supplements can you rely upon?Here are some reliable plant-based supplements from Wellbeing Nutrition you can rely on:
1. Daily GreensDaily Greens tops our list for a reason. This supplement from Wellbeing Nutrition enhances the nutritious quotient of the product as the ingredients are derived from 39 farm fresh veggies and fruits. It contains almost all the vital minerals and vitamins your body needs for the day. The best part is that Daily Greens is completely vegan and plant-based yet effective.
2. Grandma's KadhaGrandma's Kadha brings you the nutritious and medicinal value of 13 different herbs. This supplement helps improve your immune system and fights infection, and is quite good for your overall well being. This supplement is also effective and completely plant-based.
3. Organic Apple Cider VinegarApple Cider Vinegar is made from freshly fermented red and golden apples straight from the Himalayas. Gargling with ACV and lukewarm water can ease your throat almost instantly. Also, It's rich in vitamins and minerals essential to boost your immune system and ensure overall wellbeing.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar with Amla and TurmericThis supplement with Amla and Turmeric is a powerful variant of Apple Cider Vinegar. Again, it's natural and comes with the additional goodness of cinnamon, black pepper, amla, and turmeric that we Indians have used for their immunity-boosting properties over several years.
5. Melts MultivitaminsMelts Multivitamins are nano strips made from 100% natural plant-based extracts. This supplement comes with essential vitamins such as A, C, D3, B complex, etc. All these nutrients help improve immunity, reduce anxiety, and uplift mood.
6. Melts Throat ReliefMelts Throat Relief is good for your throat, especially during the winters. It's plant-based and comes with manuka honey, mint, ginger, clove, and curcumin that help soothe the throat. This supplement also clears the nasal airways and relieves you from congestion, thereby improving one’s immunity.
7. Probiotic + PrebioticPrebiotic + Probiotic is a fantastic supplement good for your gut. It comes with live probiotic bacteria and prebiotic fibers that promote the good bacteria in your gut. This supplement promotes your gut health and ensures better digestion. And guess what, this supplement is also plant-based.
Wrapping UpFortunately, plant-based nutrition is a true guide towards a better immune system. Fruits and vegetables do offer the required amounts of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals necessary for improving immunity. So, you can rely on a plant-based diet completely.
However, practicing a complete plant-based diet tends to be challenging for most people as some dietary habits are difficult to unlearn, especially the ones ingrained in childhood. Moreover, most people love eating poultry and seafood, which makes it all the more difficult to transition to hardcore plant-based diet. That is why relying on the supplements by Wellbeing Nutrition can help you shift over to plant-based nutrition. All of the supplements are organic, derived from plant sources, and free from chemicals, which makes them trustworthy.
▪ Clarys P, Deliens T, Huybrechts I, et al. Comparison of nutritional quality of the vegan, vegetarian, semi-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian and omnivorous diet. Nutrients. 2014;6(3):1318-1332. Published 2014 Mar 24. doi:10.3390/nu6031318. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3967195/).
▪ Tomova A, Bukovsky I, Rembert E, et al. The Effects of Vegetarian and Vegan Diets on Gut Microbiota. Front Nutr. 2019;6:47. Published 2019 Apr 17. doi:10.3389/fnut.2019.00047. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6478664/).
▪ Vighi G, Marcucci F, Sensi L, Di Cara G, Frati F. Allergy and the gastrointestinal system. Clin Exp Immunol. 2008;153 Suppl 1(Suppl 1):3-6. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2249.2008. 03713.x. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2515351/)