What is Vitamin B12?Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin that helps improve metabolism. However, because of its water-soluble nature, you need to consume vitamin B12- rich foods regularly to prevent deficiencies. Common foods rich in vitamin B12 are:
● Low-fat milk, cheese, and yogurt
● Chicken, liver beef
● Salmon, Tuna fish, and clams
Is Vitamin B12 related to Kidney Function? If yes, how?As stated above, vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin. It means the kidneys will remove any excess consumption.If you’re experiencing abnormal vitamin B12 levels in your body, it could sometimes indicate a disturbed kidney function.
Excess vitamin B12 can also be because of other reasons. Myeloproliferative disorders or liver damage are some examples.
A study was conducted on 80 people suffering from chronic kidney disease. Out of the total, 47 had vitamin B12 deficiency. Also, the mean duration of CKD was more in people with vitamin B12 deficiency. Furthermore, the extent of vitamin B12 deficiency was more in patients suffering from CKD.
People suffering from kidney failure undergo a treatment known as hemodialysis. During this treatment, they’re forced to tweak their diet for their overall wellbeing. Medical experts recommend foods that are a rich source of B vitamins.
It’s because vitamin B12 or folic acid and vitamin B6, along with EPO and iron, function together to prevent other diseases that might cause harm to people suffering from kidney failure.
So, yes, vitamin B12 is related to kidney function.
What are the common signs & symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency?Diagnosing vitamin B12 deficiency can be hard. It’s because the symptoms sometimes take years to show up. Therefore, it’s always recommended that you keep an eye on the vitamin B12 levels in your body.
Here are the normal and abnormal levels of vitamin B12 recommended by experts:
● Normal serum Vitamin B12 levels lie between 200 pg/mL and 900 pg/mL
● Serum Vitamin B12 levels that are worrisome in adults lie between 300 pg/mL to 350 pg/mL
Here are the common symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency:
● Jaundiced skin
● Fatigue and weakness
● Sensations of pins
● Changes in mobility
● Mouth ulcers
● Dizziness and breathlessness
● Disturbed vision
● Mood swings
● High temperature (Highly uncommon)
How can you ensure adequate intake of Vitamin B12?To ensure adequate intake of vitamin B12, you need to consume food items rich in vitamin B12, as stated above. However, sometimes due to poor absorption, the body isn’t able to absorb the nutrients from a food item. And this is when vitamin B12 supplements come into the picture.
Here’s a reliable vitamin B12 supplement that can ensure adequate vitamin B12 intake:
Vegan Vitamin B12 MeltsMelts® Vegan Vitamin B12 is one of the best vegan vitamin B12 supplements from Wellbeing Nutrition. It exists in the form of nano oral strips, and is easy to consume. This supplement comes with:
● Vegan B12: It boosts your metabolism, supports your nervous system, and offers lasting energy.
● Folate: It helps in RBC formation and cell growth.
● BacoMind®: It helps enhance your cognitive health.
● Curcumin: It offers cardiovascular support and also offers protection at the cellular level.
All these ingredients help achieve the following benefits:
● Relief from vitamin B12 deficiency
● Improved cognitive health
● Sustained energy
● Better metabolism
● Enhanced nerve function
● Better heart health
So, if you want to enjoy the above benefits, get your pack of Vegan Vitamin B12 Melts.
Is Vegan Vitamin B12 Melts safe for consumption?
Vegan vitamin B12 Melts have zero sugar, preservatives, soy, gluten and are vegan & plant-based. So, yes, this supplement is safe for consumption.
Also, you need no water to consume this supplement. Just place the oral strip on your tongue and let it melt. And within a few seconds, you’re done.
Although there might not be a direct relation/connection between vitamin B12 and kidney function, still an indirect link exists.
For example, if your body has an excessive vitamin B12 amount it can indicate poor kidney function. Also, medical experts recommend a vitamin B12-rich diet to patients suffering from kidney failure. Hence, a link exists between kidney function and vitamin B12.
Also, in general, vitamin B12 is quite important, and its deficiency can sometimes lead to anemia. So, make sure to consume ample amounts of vitamin B12-rich foods each day. And if you cannot, you can go for vegan vitamin b12 supplements such as Vegan Vitamin B12 Melts.
- O'Leary F, Samman S. Vitamin B12 in health and disease. Nutrients. 2010;2(3):299-316. doi:10.3390/nu2030299. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257642/).
- Dandge, V., & Variya, D. (2020). Study of vitamin B12 deficiency in chronic kidney disease. International Journal of Advances in Medicine, 7(2), 303-307. doi: (http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2349-3933.ijam20200085)
- Hanna S, Lachover L, Rajarethinam RP. Vitamin b₁₂ deficiency and depression in the elderly: review and case report. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;11(5):269-270. doi:10.4088/PCC.08l00707. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2781043/).