Want Healthy Hair : We Have The Answer!
It is quite a challenge to maintain thick, luscious, and healthy hair. Pollution, lack of adequate nutrition and water, constant use of styling tools and chemical-based hair products tend to leave the hair thin, dry, and damaged. You may resort to expensive hair spa treatments as the only way to fix all your hair-related woes, but there are many natural ways of doing so for which you don’t need to burn a hole in your pocket. If you want to know what they are, look no further as we provide you with some simple tips to help you take care of your hair and improve its health naturally.
Natural and Effective Ways To Get Healthy HairHow good your hair is depends on many factors.Yes, genetics has a major role to play in it but apart from that- pollution, weather, your diet, the amount of water you drink, all play a critical role in maintaining the health of your tresses. If your hair shows signs of damage- split ends, breakage, dryness, dandruff, or hair loss, then keep the following tips in mind to enhance its health and overall quality.
● Nutritious diet
Did you know that your hair’s health, volume, colour, thickness and lusciousness depends a lot on the food you eat and not just on the hair products you use? Well, yes. If your food lacks the right amount of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that your body requires from your diet, it can severely affect your hair’s health causing premature greying and hair loss. For instance, if your diet lacks sufficient protein, your hair could turn brittle. A protein-deficient diet could also inhibit your body’s potential to build new hair follicles, thereby resulting in bald patches. That is why, keep a check on the food you eat, and try to maintain a healthy-balanced diet.
● Always protect your hair from the weather
We are sure you have noticed that every time there’s a seasonal or weather change, the first thing to get affected is your hair. For instance, too much moisture in the air can make your hair dry and frizzy, while exposure to excessive sun, heat, dirt, and pollution can lead to a dirt buildup, causing your hair to turn brittle and break easily. That is why it is always advisable to cover your head with a scarf or a long piece of cloth, or, even better, an umbrella, to protect your scalp and hair from getting dirty and dried up due to direct exposure to the environment and weather around you.
● Regular conditioning
People usually condition their hair after they shampoo to help get healthy, shiny and lustrous hair. Conditioning is an important step in hair care that must not be neglected. It tends to smoothen the hair cuticle and add volume. Avoiding this step altogether can make your hair prone to easy breakage, that could further damage your hair. Without a moisturising conditioner, your hair could turn frizzy.
People use a conditioner after shampooing their hair. While using a shampoo helps to clean off sweat, dead skin cells and chemical-induced hair products, conditioner helps to soften the hair, which makes it manageable.Washed hair can be quite dry, dull, and hard to style, but using a conditioner can help manage it. Additionally, it protects the hair shafts from damage. Just ensure that you apply the conditioner about 2 inches away from the scalp as too much of it can make it excessively oily. You can also use eggs, curd, banana masks, or aloe vera as natural conditioners depending on the type of hair you have.
● Oil the scalp regularly
This is something that you may have heard your grandmother tell you many times as a kid. Oiling your hair as frequently as you can followed by the application of a gentle shampoo and conditioner that best suits your hair is the best hair care practice. Just ensure that you wash your hair properly after oiling it so as to avoid dirt and dust from getting collected on your scalp. At the same time, be careful using shampoo as too much of it can strip your scalp of its natural oils, resulting in dry scalp and dandruff.
Massaging your scalp with oil is one of the oldest remedies to get lustrous, shiny, and soft hair. The most common hair oil that people use is coconut oil, but you can also use olive, almond, castor and onion seed oils to massage your scalp thoroughly. Once you apply oil to your scalp, leave it on for an hour before washing it with a mild shampoo. Oil also tends to act as a good conditioner so you can apply it overnight for better conditioning.
● Go easy on the chemicals and heatPeople tend to colour their hair, or use different hair products to either straighten or curl their tresses. Most of them also use appliances like straighteners, permers, curlers, and blow dryers regularly to style their hair. Overuse of shampoo and hair products or excessive styling can leave the hair looking dull and damaged. While you can’t avoid using shampoos and conditioners, you can avoid overusing them as they too contain chemicals, which when used in excess can dry the scalp, triggering a series of hair problems. These chemicals not only adversely affect your hair’s natural structure but also do no good to the environment. Perhaps, you could try an organic shampoo or conditioner to see if it suits your hair. They are relatively harmless and can be a more effective and sustainable hair care solution.
Hair is not only the most important part of your appearance but is also the first line of defence against the sun's UV rays along with skin. While the tips mentioned above are just some of the basic things to keep in mind to best take care of your hair, don’t shy away from taking additional steps to maintain its overall health. These involve staying hydrated, using combs and brushes that are clean and blunt for your scalp, using cold instead of hot water for washing your hair, and applying occasional hair masks that act as natural conditioners for your hair. Bananas, honey, eggs, apple cider vinegar, fenugreek powder, amla powder or yogurt are some of the best natural remedies to get soft, shiny hair.
You can also take supplements such as Well Being Nutrition’s Healthy Hair Melts. This product works wonders if you’re tired of hair fall, split ends, frizziness, and greying hair, among other things. All you need to do is place the thin strip atop your tongue and wait for it to dissolve into your mouth. Each strip contains biotin made from natural sesbania leaves, fo-ti extract, bamboo extract, saw palmetto, folic acid, zinc and piperine that helps to improve hair strength and growth.
- Nayak BS, Ann CY, Azhar AB, Ling ECS, Yen WH, Aithal PA. A Study on Scalp Hair Health and Hair Care Practices among Malaysian Medical Students. Int J Trichology. 2017;9(2):58-62. doi:10.4103/ijt.ijt_76_16, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5551307/)
- Gavazzoni Dias MF. Hair cosmetics: an overview. Int J Trichology. 2015;7(1):2-15. doi:10.4103/0974-7753.153450 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387693/)
- Guo EL, Katta R. Diet and hair loss: effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use. Dermatol Pract Concept. 2017;7(1):1-10. Published 2017 Jan 31. doi:10.5826/dpc.0701a01, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5315033/)
- Claudine Piérard-Franchimont, Pascale Quatresooz, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Liège, Gerald E. Piérard, Effect of UV Radiation on Scalp and Hair Growth, (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286522310_Effect_of_UV_Radiation_on_Scalp_and_Hair_Growth)
- Rodney D. Sinclair, Healthy Hair: What Is It?, Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium Proceedings, DOI:https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jidsymp.5650046, (https://www.jidsponline.org/article/S0022-202X(15)52655-9/fulltext)
- Pushpendra Kumar Jain, Debajyoti Das, Siksha O Anusandhan University, Puneet Jain, International Journal of PharmTech Research, 2016, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301553424_Evaluating_Hair_Growth_Activity_of_Herbal_Hair_Oil
- Lee Y, Kim YD, Hyun HJ, Pi LQ, Jin X, Lee WS. Hair shaft damage from heat and drying time of hair dryer. Ann Dermatol. 2011;23(4):455-462. doi:10.5021/ad.2011.23.4.455, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/)