What is collagen, and are Collagen supplements beneficial for Older Adults?Collagen is a natural and most abundant protein in your body. Over 25 to 35% of the total protein content in the body is collagen.
Collagen helps maintain your bone and skin health. However, as you age, the body starts producing less collagen. And this leads to signs of aging like wrinkles and sagging skin. As collagen is an essential element of your bones, its decline also leads to weak bones and osteoporosis.
Several different studies have shown that consuming collagen peptides might help older people with bone and skin health during the process of aging. Collagen peptides are collagen that’s broken into small parts for easy absorption.
A study involved 102 postmenopausal women who were suffering from low BMD. All these women consumed 5gm of collagen peptides for one year daily. After one year, their BMD (spine and femoral neck region) significantly improved, indicating better bone formation and reduced breakdown.
There’s another research proving collagen supplements improve overall skin health in adults. A final review of about 11 studies conducted showed that consuming 2.5 to 10 gm collagen each day for six months improved elasticity, hydration, and skin collagen content.
Furthermore, consuming collagen supplements can help you improve protein intake. Several studies have stated that better protein consumption slows muscle loss due to aging and also boosts muscle function, which can help you improve the overall life quality.
Also, oral supplements come with a good safety profile. So, they’re easy to consume too. However, collagen supplements can sometimes be costly. But keeping in mind the benefits, collagen supplements are completely worth it.
Concluding all of the above studies and research data, you can say that collagen supplements do help older adults. However, you should talk to your doctor to determine the right dosage before consuming collagen.
What collagen supplements should you go for?You can find several collagen supplements in the form of pills, powders, and liquids. However, liquids and powders are most common and effective as you can add them to beverages.
There are different collagen types like bovine, plant-based (not technically collagen), and marine collagen. Marine collagen has the best absorption and is the most effective one too. So, make sure to choose a collagen supplement that has marine collagen. Read our blog, Marine Collagen vs. Bovine Collagen vs. Plant Collagen to know why! Here are some effective collagen supplements you can rely on:
Pure Korean Marine Collagen Powder
This supplement is patented and scientifically researched as a solution for anti-aging and improving the overall collagen structure. All you need is 8g of serving of this collagen powder each day for overall wellbeing.
The whole package contains 8000mg of wild-caught marine collagen from Korea. This collagen is the purest form of collagen for best absorption and bioavailability because of its low molecular weight: 3000 Daltons. The collagen powder can help you:
- Create smoother, firmer, and younger-looking skin.
- Support ligaments, joints, and cartilage for better flexibility and mobility.
- Reduce wrinkles, fine lines, and pigmentation.
- Promote better digestion.
- Improve recovery after exercise, sport, surgery, and injury.
Skin Fuel from Wellbeing Nutrition is a unique and first drinkable skincare drink in India. It comes with Bioactive Japanese Marine Collagen along with:
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Strengthen and rebuild the collagen matrix.
- Achieve hydrated skin.
- Reduce fine lines.
- Reduce inflammation.
- Restore elasticity.
- Achieve glowing radiant skin.
- Achieve better skin texture.
- Achieve firm, youthful, and supple skin.
Older adults can benefit from collagen supplements too. However, you should always choose the right products like Pure Korean Marine Collagen Powder and Skin Fuel from Wellbeing Nutrition to ensure the best benefits and no side effects.
You can also consume collagen-rich foods like fish, bone broth, shellfish, egg whites. However, natural sources are not feasible for everyone to consume. It’s the reason experts these days recommend collagen supplements, especially to those people whose regular diet falls short of meeting with adequate requirements of the essential protein. So, get your pack of collagen supplements from Wellbeing Nutrition right away and reverse the signs of aging.
- Wu M, Cronin K, Crane JS. Biochemistry, Collagen Synthesis. [Updated 2020 Sep 11] . In: StatPearls [Internet] . Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507709/).
- Shuster S. Osteoporosis, like skin ageing, is caused by collagen loss which is reversible. J R Soc Med. 2020;113(4):158-160. doi:10.1177/0141076820910315. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7160787/).
- König D, Oesser S, Scharla S, Zdzieblik D, Gollhofer A. Specific Collagen Peptides Improve Bone Mineral Density and Bone Markers in Postmenopausal Women-A Randomized Controlled Study. Nutrients. 2018;10(1):97. Published 2018 Jan 16. doi:10.3390/nu10010097.( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5793325/).
- Choi FD, Sung CT, Juhasz ML, Mesinkovsk NA. Oral Collagen Supplementation: A Systematic Review of Dermatological Applications. J Drugs Dermatol. 2019 Jan 1;18(1):9-16. PMID: 30681787. (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30681787/).