If Popeye knew how nutritious moringa was back in the day, he would have certainly swapped his can of spinach with this superfood. Moringa, aka Moringa oleifera, also known as the drumstick tree in India, is perhaps the most nutritious plant you’ll ever come across. Each part of the tree (from the leaves to the roots) is edible and used for its medicinal properties. No wonder then that it’s known as a miracle plant! It is also one of the vital ingredients found in one of the bestselling products by Wellbeing Nutrition- Daily Greens. Do you wish to know more about this wonder plant? Well, read on.
What Is Moringa?
Native to India, the moringa tree is also grown majorly in South America and Africa. Not many people know that the term ‘moringa’ is derived from the Tamil word murungai, and the Malayalam word, murinna. Philippinos call the plant malunggay, whereas the Thais know it as ma rum. Meanwhile, the Indonesians know it as maroenga, and the Malays as kachang kelur.
Moringa is often used as a natural binder or binding agent, which holds or draws several materials together to create a cohesive entity mechanically or chemically. The entire plant is beneficial as the leaves can be used to make moringa tea, the tiny seeds in the drumstick pod can be used to prepare moringa seed oil, the flowers and seeds can be used to make soups and other savouries. The drumsticks can also be used in various dishes. The powdered form of dried moringa leaves can be used to make green juices for detox, or is mixed with lemon juice/or essential oils and used as a facial pack. You can vacuum fry the moringa seeds to have them as a snack. A decoction made of moringa roots is used in treating sores and ulcers as they have therapeutic and healing potential. Additionally, you can add the nutritious powder to various dishes to improve their nutritional quotient.
Lesser-Known Facts About Moringa
Some of the lesser-known facts about moringa are as follows:
- The Most Nutritious Superfood: A moringa tree is a pack of multivitamins in itself as every part of the tree is considered nutritious and is known for its nutritional value. The plant is rich in nutrients such as vitamins A, B complex, C, D, E, and essential minerals like selenium, potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium. It is one of the richest sources of Vitamin C and research shows that it provides this nutrient more than even oranges. Moringa leaves are also a vital source of all essential amino acids, which is an uncommon phenomenon in plants. Moreover, moringa is a rich source of antioxidants and good cholesterol.
- Popeye’s New Energy Booster: Did you know that moringa is also a rich source of iron. Studies have shown that it provides three times the amount of iron that spinach, the most common source of the nutrient, provides. Iron is incredibly important for the body as it is an essential part of hemoglobin, which aids the red blood cells to carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. Thus, it acts as the perfect energy booster.
- The Best Water Purifier: As stated above, moringa seeds are the perfect natural binder. However, they need to be crushed for the same. One can use it in water to help purify the water as they can catch fine substances that can contaminate it such as salt, bacteria and other impurities that cannot be easily removed.
- Therapeutic Use: Moringa is also known for its therapeutic and healing properties. Thanks to its rich nutritional profile, there isn’t a single ailment it cannot heal. It acts as a great detoxification agent and protects the liver, treats gut issues, acts as an antibacterial or antimicrobial agent, reduces the risk of heart ailments and even cancer, regulates sugar levels, prevents respiratory issues and stone formation in the body, heals wounds faster, lessens hypertension and cholesterol levels, bolsters immunity, improves iron absorption, skin and hair health, among other things.
Moringa And Wellbeing Nutrition’s Daily Greens
Moringa is one of the superfoods present in Wellbeing Nutrition’s immunity-boosting product, Daily Greens. The Daily Greens is India’s first organic whole food multivitamin supplement, which gets its nutrition from over 39 farm-fresh greens, veggies, and fruits, one of which is moringa. This natural dietary supplement contains several vitamins and minerals, which have been derived from 100 % natural and organic real greens. While it has been derived from fruits and vegetables, it must be noted that they are not a replacement for them in any way. One can have a tablet each either once or twice a day alongside a healthy and balanced meal.
Some of the ingredients that this product contains includes:
- Aloe Vera
- Brussels Sprouts
- Acai Berry
- Green Tea
Daily Greens is the best on-the-go supplement that you can take, especially when your diet is deficient of all the essential nutrients that are necessary for overall health and wellbeing.
Being 100 % organic and natural, with zero side effects, one can consume Daily Greens for as long as they want.
Moringa is a miracle plant that is known for its many medicinal properties. Each and every part of the plant is edible and used for some or the other therapeutic purpose. Wellbeing Nutrition’s (WBN) Daily Greens is an immunity-boosting product that contains moringa along with over 30 other antioxidant-rich superfoods. It is the best form of dietary supplement that will ensure you get all the nutrients in an easy and effortless way. So if you’re not able to consume moringa as much due to its unavailability,or the effort you may have to take in preparing its powder, or juice, or tea, worry not as a tablet of Daily Greens will bring you the goodness of moringa along with other essential superfoods easily. So go ahead and get yourself a tube of Daily Greens and enjoy the benefits of moringa without any hassle!
- Abdull Razis AF, Ibrahim MD, Kntayya SB. Health benefits of Moringa oleifera. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2014;15(20):8571-6. doi: 10.7314/apjcp.2014.15.20.8571. PMID: 25374169. (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25374169/)
- Vergara-Jimenez M, Almatrafi MM, Fernandez ML. Bioactive Components in Moringa Oleifera Leaves Protect against Chronic Disease. Antioxidants (Basel). 2017;6(4):91. Published 2017 Nov 16. doi:10.3390/antiox6040091. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5745501/)
- Lakshmipriya Gopalakrishnan, Kruthi Doriya, Devarai Santhosh Kumar, Moringa oleifera: A review on nutritive importance and its medicinal application, Food Science and Human Wellness, Volume 5, Issue 2, 2016, Pages 49-56, ISSN 2213-4530, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fshw.2016.04.001. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213453016300362)
- Milla, P.G.; Peñalver, R.; Nieto, G. Health Benefits of Uses and Applications of Moringa oleifera in Bakery Products. Plants 2021, 10, 318. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants10020318. (https://www.mdpi.com/2223-7747/10/2/318#cite)