Increase Longevity by Improving Immunity
Immunity has been quite a buzzword since COVID-19 struck. There hasn’t been a single social media message or post that did not talk about immunity booster ‘kadhas’ or immune-boosting foods. Unfortunately, it took a pandemic like COVID-19 to make people realise the importance of immunity.
Every person’s body has an intelligently designed in-built immune system that helps fight infection right from birth. To fight foreign bodies like bacteria, viruses; wound healing, eliminating environmental toxins, and fighting diseases like cancer and other infectious diseases like tuberculosis, typhoid, and others, are some of the functions of our immune system.
However, as we age, our body’s immune system slowly declines like all other body functions. As one ages, they begin to fall sick more often. Aging causes inflammation in the body that leads to cell damage and reduced immune function, leading to many chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, and certain auto-immune disorders.
Research has shown that this increased risk of developing infections and disease could be due to a reduction in T cells (cells primarily involved in immune function). Also, with age, the ability of the body to produce more T cells or cells involved in immunity reduces, and the elderly are more susceptible to infections and other diseases like cancer.
Having said this, let us explore the possible reasons for this age-related immune function decline.
1. Environmental toxins: Environmental pollutants and toxins can cause cell damage and impact the immune system. As a person ages, the body’s ability to fight these ecological toxins reduces.
2. Stress: We all know by now that stress is a trigger to weaken the immune system, more so in an elderly person
3. Poor diet and Lifestyle: We cannot emphasize enough the role of diet and lifestyle in improving immunity. A diet lacking in micronutrients and antioxidants can affect the immune system, especially in an older person.
4. Substance abuse: Prolonged smoking, alcohol consumption, and drug consumption negatively impact our immunity and cause a decline in the effective functioning of our immune-fighting cells.
5. Inadequate sleep: Erratic sleep schedule can lead to an increase in stress and inflammation, further deteriorating the immune system
It is well established that a robust immune system helps in increasing life span and promoting longevity. Proper nutrition, regular physical activity, good quality sleep, and low-stress levels are essential for improving and strengthening the immune system. Please read our blog to understand better why immunity is important and ways to enhance it further.
India is an ancient country home to many traditional spices bounteously used across all the varied cultural cuisines. The good news is that these conventional Indian spices have a rather important role in boosting the immune system. Spices and herbs like turmeric, pepper, garlic, and others have antibacterial and antioxidant properties, which help prevent and treat common colds and coughs.
One such promising product is Grandma’s Kadha, which is time-tested, completely natural, and curated with mindfully chosen ingredients that help keep common cold, seasonal flu, and sore throat away. It is just like what our grandmothers would swear by in the good ol’ days as a promising home remedy for flu, in the form of a dispersible, easy-to-consume effervescent tablet. Apart from this, some of the other products that help boost immunity are Daily greens, apple cider vinegar, and Vitamin D3 and Vitamin B12 Melts.
Final Take Away :
Consuming nutritious and wholesome food, engaging in regular physical activity, managing stress levels, and consistently working on improving our lifestyle are some of the assuring ways to boost our precious immune system and increase longevity.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.